11.12.08

Deerhoof's Offend Maggie has two different track listings?

So being a rabid Deerhoof fan, I could not wait to get my hands on their fabulous latest release Offend Maggie, even if it meant that I would have to obtain it via *cough* potentially illegal means (sorry guys). The track listing was as follows:

01 The Tears and Music of Love
02 Chandelier Searchlight
03 Buck and Judy
04 Snoopy Waves
05 Offend Maggie
06 Basket Ball Get Your Groove Back
07 Don't Get Born
08 My Purple Past
09 Family of Others
10 Fresh Born
11 Eaguru Guru
12 This is God Speaking
13 Numina
14 Jagged Fruit

This is most likely the order than most of you are familiar with (the CD's track listing), and all things being said, it is quite a fantastic order indeed.

Once Deerhoof made their way through town two weeks later, and being the devoted fan that I am, I bought the LP at the show (my intent all along), and took it home to listen. As soon as I set the needle on the LP, however, I realized that the album was not opening with The Tears And Music of Love, as I had expected, but with Offend Maggie. Not even track 2 was the same, as I was hearing Fresh Born where I expected to be hearing Chandelier Searchlight. In fact, not a single track is in the same place on the LP as it is on the CD. The track order of the LP (and how it was listed on back) is as follows:

Side A (Act 1):

  1. Offend Maggie
  2. Fresh Born
  3. Chandelier Searchlight
  4. The Tears And Music Of Love
  5. Buck And Judy
  6. Don't Get Born
  7. My Purple Past

  8. Side B (Act 2):

  9. Basket Ball Get Your Groove Back
  10. Numina O
  11. This Is God Speaking
  12. Eaguru Guru
  13. Snoppy Waves
  14. Jagged Fruit
  15. Family Of Others
WHAT?! In addition, the CD does not list the tracks as being in two Acts, whereas the LP does. This order is also quite fantastic, to the point where I'm not sure as to which I prefer.

As as result of this confusing situation, I went to the place where most people go when they need to know something as random and obscure as this: the internet. Sadly, my search revealed absolutely no explaination as to why each format had a different track listing. The only thing I found was a myspace comment on their page asking the same question I was. Beyond that, nothing. Also, most sites selling the LP have the CD tracklisting posted as the LP track order, including the record label's website, which obviously is not correct. Up until this point I have attempted to contact both the band and the label about the reasoning behind this, but with no reply.

So what's the deal, Deerhoof?

No comments: